Cricket Australia to make mouthwatering offer to keep David Warner in BBL

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - OCTOBER 28: David Warner of Australia plays a shot as Kusal Perera of Sri Lanka looks on during the ICC Men's T20 World Cup match between Australia and Sri Lanka at Dubai International Stadium on October 28, 2021 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by Alex Davidson/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Finn Morton from Fox Sports

David Warner is set to be offered a mouthwatering payday ahead of this year’s Big Bash, as Cricket Australia look to stop cricketers from joining the new UAE T20 League.

International superstars can return to the Big Bash this year after South Africa pulled out of a three-match ODI series with Australia, which was scheduled for January.

While Cricket Australia had hoped that these international players would be available for the domestic competition, the Big Bash is facing unrivaled competition to hold onto this talent.

Watch The Hundred. Every Match Live & Exclusive to Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

The UAE T20 has lucrative deals on offer for players who want to compete in its first season, with top players reportedly set to be offered $700,000.

But in an effort to match this, and to stop potential legal proceedings with Channel 7, the Sydney Morning Herald understands that Cricket Australia will make a major offer to Warner.

Warner, who has asked for permission to play in the UAE, is expected to be offered a deal that could rise higher than $500,000.

Big Bash League record holders Marcus Stoinis and Glenn Maxwell are among the players who could potentially be offered bigger deals to keep them on Australia’s shores.

Warner’s manager, James Erskine, has told the Herald and The Age that he’s working alongside his client to work out his future.

“We’re working with Cricket Australia to achieve the best outcome for everyone,” Erskine said.

“My advice to David regarding his international career is to go out on his own terms.”

Erskine also revealed that his client wouldn’t be eligible to play in the UAE League at the moment, as this would be a breach of his contract with Cricket Australia.

The 35-year-old has played 91 T20 internationals for his country, boasting an idyllic high score of 100 not out.

But with 22 international 50s to his name in that format of the game, fans would certainly love to see Warner return to the Big Bash for the first time since 2014.

Cricket legend Adam Gilchrist believes that it would be a major blow to the competition to see Australian stars player in overseas T20 tournaments.

“This is the big kicker, isn’t it, of possibly being in the step towards being contracted to the club before or over country for the predominant amount of cricket you play,” Gilchrist told SEN.

“I think it would almost be commercial suicide for them (Cricket Australia) to allow a player like him (Warner) to go head-to-head up against their own competition.

Carey wants Khan in BBL Draft | 00:58

“They can’t force David Warner to play in the BBL. I understand that.

“But to let him then go off, or another player, let’s not just single out Warner, because there will other players on the radar, it’s all part of this, I guess, global dominance that these IPL franchises are starting to create given they own a number of teams in the Caribbean Premier League.

“They own all six teams I believe in the new South African tournament that’s coming up, which will be locking horns for commercial space and airtime with the Big Bash.”

Earlier this year in June, Cricket Australia said that they were “extremely disappointed” with the Seven Network’s decisions to commence legal proceedings over their broadcast deal.

Seven claimed that they wanted to cancel their agreement due to its quality and standard provisions, specifically in relation to the Big Bash.

“Cricket Australia is extremely disappointed that our broadcast partner, the Seven Network, has commenced legal proceedings against CA in relation to recent COVID-impacted cricket seasons,” a CA issued statement reads.

“CA delivered two very successful cricket seasons in 2020-21 and 2021-22, including every WBBL and BBL game and highly acclaimed international schedules, despite the enormous challenges presented by the global pandemic.”