Bale opens talks with second tier club as next move nears; Utd rejected by star mid - Rumour Mill

Mane unveiled as a Bayern player | 00:51
AFP and Fox Football from Fox Sports

Gareth Bale’s representatives said on Wednesday they have held talks with Cardiff over a potential move to the Championship club after the Wales captain’s departure from Real Madrid.

Bale has been strongly linked with a free transfer to his hometown team following the end of his turbulent nine-year spell in Madrid.

Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand with Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The 32-year-old forward, once the world’s most expensive player, is reported to be considering the pros and cons of joining the Bluebirds before playing for Wales at the World Cup in Qatar in November.

His representatives confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that they are in negotiations with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman.

Bale, a five-time Champions League winner, has several options on the table with MLS teams, his former club Tottenham and Newcastle all mooted as possible destinations.

But he fuelled speculation that he might prefer Cardiff by saying the level of football he plays before the World Cup will not be a determining factor.

Gareth Bale could play his club football for Cardiff City. (Photo by Ryan Hiscott/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

MORE COVERAGE

Liverpool cop $84m double blow as star attacking duo head for exit door

Eight medical staff facing up to 25 years in jail over football legend’s tragic death

Blues $170m mistake laid bare as star seals humiliating $12m return

Speaking while on international duty with Wales last week, Bale said: “I don’t really know if the standard makes too much of a difference. A football game is a football game.

“I need time to think what’s the best move for me, my family, my kids, and hopefully we’ll sort that over the summer. I have options.”

Bale, who has family in Cardiff, earned around $AUD1 million per week at Real and would have to take a significant wage cut to sign for Steve Morison’s side.

But his agent Jonathan Barnett said in a recent interview that “what Gareth does next is not about money”.

The sight of Bale at Cardiff’s training ground on Wednesday led some fans to claim he was about to complete the switch to the Bluebirds.

But Cardiff share the facilities with the Football Association of Wales’ medical staff and it is understood Bale was there to undertake physio work.

Gunners sign Vieira from Porto for $60M | 01:26

RED DEVILS REJECTED AS STAR MIDFIELDER LOOKS ELSEWHERE

New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has been dealt a cruel blow in the search for his first signing.

The Guardian reports that midfielder Christian Eriksen has rejected an approach from the Red Devils as the Dane favours a return to either Brentford or Tottenham Hotspur.

Eriksen spent the back half of the 2021/22 Premier League season with the Bees in his first competitive action after suffering a cardiac arrest during Denmark’s match against Finland at Euro 2020.

The 30-year-old also enjoyed a seven-year spell with Spurs and made over 220 appearances for the London club.

ANGE EYES FOURTH SIGNING AS SQUAD COMPETITION HEATS UP

With former loan signings Daizen Maeda and Cameron Carter-Vickers along with the fresh face of goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist all through the door, Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou looks set to add his fourth signing ahead of the 2022/23 season.

The Daily Recordclaims Argentinian youngster Alexandro Bernabei will be the next man to arrive at Parkhead for a fee just shy of $7 million.

The 21-year-old left back will sign a five-year deal with the Hoops as Postecoglou looks to add some more depth to his backline, although the Argentinian youth international enjoys getting forward.

Bernabei will compete with Greg Taylor the starting left-back role as Boli Bolingoli looks set for an exit and Liam Scales moved to Aberdeen on loan.