Big move to unleash Dogs duo; rival club has Bunnies winger ‘on their radar’ — Transfer Whispers
There could be plenty of changes in the off-season for the Bulldogs while another club has joined the race to sign Broncos teen freak Selwyn Cobbo.
Read on for all the latest transfer whispers.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
DOGS CIRCLE BUNNIES WINGER AS SUPER LEAGUE TARGET DUO
The Bulldogs went through a serious roster overhaul heading into 2022 but could be looking at another shake-up if this year’s results are anything to go by.
Canterbury-Bankstown sit last on the ladder with just two wins and two new recruits could already be out the door at the end of the year.
That is according to veteran rugby league reporter Brent Read, who revealed both Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan are being pursued by Super League clubs.
The overseas interest in Dufty has been known for a few weeks now but it seems he will not be the only Bulldog looking at a move overseas.
“Matt Dufty is on the radar of Warrington,” Read said on Triple M.
“They have had a couple of chats with him. I spoke to his manager Clint Schifcofske this morning. There is a good chance he will be in the Super League next year. He hasn’t got an offer on the table from the Dogs.
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!
“I think Clint thinks it will be a good move, he will thrive over there. They have had a couple of conversations so I think it will move pretty quickly.
“Paul Vaughan is another guy who doesn’t have a contract at the end of this year. Again, he doesn’t have a place to go in the NRL and Wigan is looking at him so he may be in the Super League next year alongside Matt Dufty. A bloke playing good football and he’d thrive over there.”
Read suggested Dufty’s exit could see Josh Addo-Carr to fullback, adding that the former Storm flyer could be thrust into the role as early as next week.
That is after Trent Barrett said on Friday that he wants to see Addo-Carr get his hands on the ball more.
There could be another change in the outside backs next year too, with Read revealing the Bulldogs also have a versatile Rabbitoh “on their radar”.
“There is a bit of mail doing the rounds that the Dogs are interested in signing Jaxson Paulo,” Read said.
“I think they’ve had some talks. They haven’t progressed at this stage to the point where he has signed but they’re looking at him and he is on their radar.”
PANTHERS FAIL TO POUNCE
Blues star forward Liam Martin has reportedly knocked back Penrith’s first attempt to retain him beyond 2023.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Martin was reportedly offered a deal well below the premiership player’s estimated market value of $750,000.
The Panthers are facing a salary cap squeeze and if they cannot find the cash then Martin will head to the open market.
It means he’ll be able to negotiate with clubs from November 1 for the 2024 season.
Martin has played 70 NRL games since making his debut at Penrith in 2019 and represented NSW in all three games of Origin last year.
COBBO A MAN IN DEMAND
The Sea Eagles have joined the race to sign Broncos teen star Selwyn Cobbo who comes off contract at the end of next season.
Cobbo has become one of the best young players in the game this season and is attracting plenty of interest from rival clubs.
The 19-year-old winger dominated the Bunnies last week and face Manly at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.
The winger is considered a long-term fullback at Brisbane and has been compared to a young Greg Inglis.
Cobbo is on $180,000 this season but his stellar form has seen his value skyrocket and he’ll soon earn more than $600,000 per year.
Cobbo is reportedly on the cusp of re-signing at the Broncos on a $2 million dollar deal that will keep him at Red Hill until 2025.
That’s prompted as many as eight clubs to chase Cobbo’s signature, but Brisbane coach Kevin Walters insists the future fullback is going nowhere.
“We are very hopeful we can keep him here,” Walters said.
“We see Selwyn as a long-term player for our club, we love what he brings, even at such a young age. He has played some great footy this year which is great for us as a team and great for Broncos fans.
“Selwyn looks good in Maroon and we intend on keeping him here for many years.”
NRL journeyman James Segeyaro has reportedly been offered a career lifeline by the Sea Eagles.
The 31-year-old dummy-half hasn’t appeared in first grade since 2019, but could be nearing an NRL return after reportedly receiving a train-and-trial deal with Des Hasler’s side, according to The Daily Telegraph.
The PNG international impressed for Manly’s feeder-club Blacktown Workers, playing both halfback and hooker to earn the $1000-a-week deal.
Segeyaro could find himself on the field in first grade as soon as Round 11, giving No.9 Lachlan Croker such much needed cover.
Clubs are able to select players from outside their top 30 without approval from the NRL after Round 10, meaning Segeyaro could face the Eels at CommBank Stadium.
Karl Lawton, Hasler’s regular dummy-half replacement, is currently serving a ban for a lifting tackle on Cameron Murray, while Manase Fainu has been stood down since 2019.
Segeyaro has played for the Panthers, Sharks, Broncos and Cowboys in the past, appearing 154 times in the top grade.
KFC SuperCoach is back! You could win the Holy Grail of Fantasy Footy plus $50k cash. Play now
The exciting rake spent 20 months on the sidelines after testing positive to a banned substance, which was ingested via a housemate’s blender.
Segeyaro’s 20-month suspension was backdated and he was free to resume his rugby league career in June last year.
According to a statement from the NRL, the tribunal found the 31-year-old “bore a significant degree of responsibility for the positive result but ruled he had not intentionally taken the Ligandrol.”
MORE NRL NEWS
‘GET IT RIGHT’: Warriors hold crisis talks after a pair of embarrassing losses
ORIGIN SCOUT: Maroons shock selection call, DCE’s ominous warning