The Thunder have an opportunity to take a huge step forward in their rebuild.
After reaching the NBA Playoffs in five straight seasons (2015-16 to 2019-20), Oklahoma City has found itself in the lottery room in back-to-back years. The Thunder snagged Josh Giddey with the No. 6 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft and he shined as a rookie, averaging 12.5 points, 7.8 rebounds and 6.4 assists per game.
With Giddey and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander established as the backcourt of the future, Thunder general manager Sam Presti will be looking to add at least one more piece to his young core on Thursday night.
Where does Oklahoma City land in the draft order? Here is everything you need to know ahead of the 2022 NBA Draft.
Thunder draft picks 2022: When does Oklahoma City pick?
The Thunder own four total picks in the 2022 NBA Draft. They will make their first selection after the Magic, who won the NBA Draft Lottery last month.
- Round 1, No. 2: Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga
- Round 1, No. 11: Ousmane Dieng, NZ Breakers (acquired in trade with Knicks)
- Round 1, No. 12: Jalen Williams, Santa Clara
- Round 2, No. 34: Jaylin Williams, Arkansas
Thunder 2022 NBA draft order
|1||2. Chet Holmgren|
|1||11. Ousmane Dieng|
|1||12. Jalen Williams|
|2||34. Jaylin Williams|
Thunder draft needs
- Frontcourt talent: The Thunder need a big man who will complement Giddey and Gilgeous-Alexander. If Orlando selects Jabari Smith Jr. at No. 1, Oklahoma City could take Chet Holmgren, who would provide a significant boost on both ends of the floor.
- Wing versatility: Darius Bazley and Aleksej Pokusevski are interesting players, but will they ever be starters on a winning team? Luguentz Dort is a tenacious defender, but he is limited by his size (6-3) and offensive ability. The Thunder would benefit from an upgrade on the wing.
- 3-point shooting: Simply put, the Thunder's offense was dreadful last season. They finished last in the league in offensive rating and 3-point percentage. Those numbers must improve.
Thunder mock draft 2022
Here are the latest projected picks for the Thunder, according to TSN's Kyle Irving:
- Round 1, No. 2: Chet Holmgren, F/C, Gonzaga
- Round 1, No. 12: Jeremy Sochan, F, Baylor
- Round 2, No. 34: Bryce McGowens, G, Nebraska
NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT: Chet Holmgren